Hi! I’m Blair Gilbert, a.k.a.
As a third-generation hardware store owner, licensed builder, and finish carpenter, my mission is to help you “do it right the first time!” On this site, I share expert home and yard DIY advice in over 250 articles and videos. Feel free to dive in!
- Add A Downspout To Drain Water From Overflowing Roof Gutter (10/19/2020)
To add a downspout to control an overflowing gutter, whether putting up a whole new gutter or just supplementing what’s already there, is the same. In my case, the gutter spans the entire rear of the house. The long gutter section only has one downspout at the far end for all the water coming off a large roof area.
Another elbow may be required at the bottom of the downspout to direct the water away from the house. I drain the downspout water to my underground drain pipes through a receptor adapter for whichever size downspout you’re using.
You’ll need another adapter to connect the downspout to the gutter. Get a downspout outlet to match the size downspout you’ll be installing (2×3 or 3×4). Cut the hole in the gutter for the outlet, drop it in and apply a bead of seam sealer to cover the flange to seal the connection.
Decide where to put the second downspout. For me, the overflow problem was solved by connecting it to a downspout already in place; not adding an additional downspout. But depending on your problem, you have to think about this.
If the gutter was hung properly, it should be sloped slightly toward the existing downspout. For most gutters with a run with only one downspout, the optimal place will be to add a new downspout at the opposite end. So now the gutter has to be sloped toward both ends with the slope higher in the middle. Maybe the change is easy, maybe it’s not.
If adjusting the slope is too difficult, just add the new downspout somewhere near the center to drain half the gutter. To hide the new downspout, paint it the house color or along some vertical trim.
Remember to use seam sealer at the junctions.
More New Articles
- Tools Disappear – Paint Mark To Protect From Friends, Neighbors, Relatives (10/5/2020) - Your tools will be gone if you let family, friends, relatives and neighbors borrow them. So protect yourself by tagging them with a mark of paint to identify them as yours. Save your… ...read more
- Rust Inhibitor – Aspho – Stop, Convert Rust to Add Life To Your Stuff (9/21/2020) - Ospho Rust Remover Treatment ($16) stops rust and prepares rusted surfaces for painting. It converts iron oxide (rust) into iron phosphate to be painted. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7uSOrkq3P0 This chemical reaction creates a surface that retards… ...read more
- Use a Mirror to Inspect a Pipe, Gutter or Underneath the Easy Way (9/7/2020) - Here are some tips and tricks. A mirror should be part of your home repair and maintenance tool box. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_9kg1V71do This video uses a mirror to see into a low, dark pipe in… ...read more
- Sea Wall Berm To Protect Erosion From High Lake Water Level on Seawall (8/24/2020) - The high water in the Great Lakes, particularly Lake St. Clair, was washing earth off my property. I have a steel seawall installed 10 plus years ago that was several feet above lake… ...read more
- How To Build a Great Outside Yard Sump Pit on the Cheap (8/10/2020) - If the yard floods after hard rain, bad drainage, or high lake water level, a backyard sump pump may be the answer to move that water out. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnHJvYAxMGk A sump pump in the… ...read more