Hi! I’m Blair Gilbert, a.k.a.
As a third-generation hardware store owner, licensed builder, and finish carpenter, my mission is to help you “do it right the first time!” On this site, I share expert home and yard DIY advice in over 250 articles and videos. Feel free to dive in!
- Lamp repair, fix socket, replace cord, overheating damages wiring (2/27/2018)
Fixing a lamp, repairing the socket or replacing the cord is easy, but electricity can be is dangerous.
Replace a lamp socket:
1. Unplug lamp, remove harp.
2. Remove the socket shell by squeezing the weak area near the thumb switch, or force it apart with a flat screwdriver at the socket base.
3. Pull out the socket switch to expose the wires enough to work on it. Try tightening the wires as that may solve your problem.
4. Unscrew the wires. Lamps have a brass screw to the black hot wire and silver screw to the white wire.
5. Screw the wires to the proper terminals onto the new socket – single or 3way socket. Tighten them twice.
6. Put the socket shell back on and set the cover back on securely.
7. Plug it in.
WARNING: The wires can electrocute and or shock you if wiring is wrong. The lamp may still light even if the wires are switched, but the hot is exposed on the socket contact.
Lamp cords don’t usually have colored wires on them. Before you remove the wires from the old switch, check the color screw on each wire that is connected to the terminals.
More New Articles
- Keep out cold, wind, dirt with V-Flex, V-Seal weather stripping and door sweeps (2/12/2018) - V-Seal weather strips are hinged into a v-shape that seals when compressed to block gaps between the frame of the door or window. This stops infiltration into your home. It has adhesive on ...read more
- Your 2-stroke cycle engines run best if you do this for the fuel (1/29/2018) - Two-stroke engines require one of two types of fuel. Either a gas/oil mixture of 40:1 or 50:1 Always check your owner's manual for your specific model before creating your concoction. Use a separate, ...read more
- How to clear a slow draining sink clog (1/8/2018) - If you don’t have a disposal, you can use a caustic, powerful drain cleaner if there is some movement to the water. Read the instructions. Once the sink is empty of water, the ...read more
- Stop heat loss and drafts in your home with simple insulation steps (1/3/2018) - Heat loss and gain are from air infiltration. Protect the doors, windows, basement and furnace. Use film kits and caulking and they will reward you. Windows are an easy area to insulate. Unless ...read more
- Garbage disposal tips to add life to your disposal and improve operation (1/2/2018) - Home garbage disposals have limits. Not everything has to go in the garbage disposal. Don't overload it. Don't put in bones, pits or pastas because they dull the blades, stick in the corners, ...read more