Hi! I’m Blair Gilbert, a.k.a.
As a third-generation hardware store owner, licensed builder, and finish carpenter, my mission is to help you “do it right the first time!” On this site, I share expert home and yard DIY advice in over 250 articles and videos. Feel free to dive in!
- Drain flooded yard – quick, easy, efficient sump pump drainage system (6/17/2019)
A backyard will flood following days of soaking rain or poor drainage, but a sump pump can move that water.
But an outside submersible sump pump in a sump pit will collect debris and mud, so it should only drain water from the top of the pit, and have screening or landscape netting to strain or block leaves and dirt. Be sure the screening doesn’t interfere with the float switch.
The backyard sump pump collects the excess rainwater in one area and pumps it to a storm sewer or other area of the yard. If you think it’s from a septic source, send it to a sanitary sewer.
Dig a hole in the lowest part of the flooded yard big enough for a 5 gallon bucket. Drill holes in the top half of the bucket so the water flowing into the pit isn’t as muddy to clog the pump. Attach mud-filtering fiber or screening around the bucket, drop in the pump, attach a hose, plug into a GFI outlet and let it run.
Never allow water to pool around your foundation. Water should be sent 6 to 10 feet from the exterior of your home.
This is only a temporary pump. Once the rain stops, remove the pump, fill the hole, put the grass back and enjoy your yard.
More New Articles
- Nylon disc pad for paint removal, cleaning of wood, metal, brick with drill or grinder (6/3/2019) - These paint and rust strippers easily remove or clean finishes from wood, metal and other surfaces. The flexible discs are made of a nylon Scotch-Bright™ material and fit a standard electric drill or… ...read more
- Spring is the Second best time to Grow Grass (5/20/2019) - Fall is usually the best time to grow grass, after all that is nature. Plants go to seed in the fall and they sprout in the spring. So you didn’t drop grass seed… ...read more
- Bend PVC pipe with heat gun, flame torch – door latch, lanai – danger (5/6/2019) - The easiest tool for bending PVC pipe is a heat gun, though a flaming torch works if you are careful with charring the surface. If you only want to melt the PVC enough… ...read more
- Furnace monitor for $25 by Honeywell, Winter Watchman plug-in (4/22/2019) - The Honeywell Winter Watchman is a simple furnace solution to notify a house watcher that there is a heat problem in the home. It’s easy to install and operate, needing only an outlet… ...read more
- Outside backyard sump pump screen filter against leaves and debris (4/8/2019) - A backyard, outside submersible sump pump pit will collect leaves and debris, so you need to guard, or limit, that exposure with screening or netting that won’t interfere with the float switch. The… ...read more