Hi! I’m Blair Gilbert, a.k.a.
As a third-generation hardware store owner, licensed builder, and finish carpenter, my mission is to help you “do it right the first time!” On this site, I share expert home and yard DIY advice in over 250 articles and videos. Feel free to dive in!
- Spar (marine) varnish is best for exterior wood finishing, protection (6/18/2018)
Outdoor finishes all require maintenance due to moisture, heat, expansion, contraction and ultraviolet light. Moisture causes the wood to rot, and sunlight washes out its natural color.
You have some choices: exterior oil, Urethane, an epoxy sealer with an exterior varnish topcoat, or spar (marine) varnish.
Spar varnish is your best bet.
Exterior oil gives the least protection, and needs to be reapplied every year.
Urethane isn’t flexible during expansion and contraction from weather and moisture, and will crack and flake.
Epoxy sealers are the most durable but take longer to apply, and still need a top coat.
Spar (marine) varnish offers excellent protection from moisture and UV rays, and is flexible. It builds a protective layer around the wood and better durability than an oil finish. The term “Spar” comes from its use as a coating on spars of sailing ships.
Spar varnish is applied with a natural bristle brush in multiple coats. Every few years, sand the topcoat smooth, and apply a new coat of varnish.
Apply 3-5 coats, with the first couple diluted by 10-50% with mineral spirits or paint thinner for good penetration. The last coat or two is applied with a foam brush or quality natural bristle brush.
More New Articles
- Electric circuit overload – volts x amps = watts (6/4/2018) - Too many items plugged into a circuit can cause an overload. Exceeding the limit should automatically shut off the circuit at the main panel. Power strips don’t always protect you. A dedicated circuit ...read more
- No electricity in entire room – check GFCI, quick connect wire, overload (5/21/2018) - What happened to my power? GFCI Outlet Trips Breaker GFCI outlets may trip sometimes, but not all the time. A GFCI can wear out faster than a regular outlet. If you have to ...read more
- Multimeter use – voltage, continuity, resistance – and some tips (5/7/2018) - Multimeters are good for electrical basics - check current, measure voltage and troubleshooting for why your circuit’s not working, or if the switch is broken. Here are some tips. WARNING: To test continuity ...read more
- Backup sump pump separate discharge alerts to failure of main pump (4/23/2018) - Backup sump pumps save you from flooding basement, but you need to be notified the primary pump has failed. Your battery-driven backup pumps will have low charges and stop pumping, and the battery ...read more
- Slow drain clog cleared, Insta-Flo Crystals – Not garbage disposals (3/26/2018) - Slow drains can clear with strong clog removers like Insta-Flo with hot water to be applied at night so it can work on the clog undisturbed for at least 4-hours. It can damage ...read more