Hi! I’m Blair Gilbert, a.k.a.
As a third-generation hardware store owner, licensed builder, and finish carpenter, my mission is to help you “do it right the first time!” On this site, I share expert home and yard DIY advice in over 250 articles and videos. Feel free to dive in!
- Sump Pump Yard Mud Filter to Protect, Remove Water For Work In Hole (7/27/2020)
To drain a sump pit for a dry place to work, you need a furnace filter and utility sump pump to remove the water.
Choose where you want to pump the water – into a pipe, drain or somewhere.
- Place a piece of furnace filter cut-to-size in the muddy hole.
- Put a non-switch utility pump (no on-off) that sucks from the bottom.
- Run the sump pump until the hole is dry. Remember to unplug it after use because it won’t shut off.
- Wash off the furnace filter with a hose.
The furnace filter is $6 and can be cleaned with water and reused.
A pedestal sump pump system where the pump sits above sump pit and draws the water out through a pipe or hose may work, too. But you need to monitor the small intake tube filter.
More New Articles
- Extension Cord Repair $5 – Fix with Clamp Style – Easier, Faster, Safer Plug – Not Screw Type, Splicing (7/13/2020) - For an extension cord wiring repair, you only need is a new plug. For $5, you can attach a replacement plug. So, you don’t have to throw away that old extension cord, even… ...read more
- Stone Paths, Roads Need Jagged Sharp Edges To Lock Gravel, Rock Together (6/29/2020) - Stone, rock or gravel roads, driveways and paths need materials with coarse, sharp, jagged corners to lock together. Smooth, rounded stone moves and does not create a solid surface. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDdx8cee7Kg Building a gravel,… ...read more
- Air Conditioner Filter Too Fine, Restricts Air Flow, Stress System (6/15/2020) - Air conditioners can shut down if fine filters restrict air flow. The air conditioner is also stressed by a dirty filter that slows down air flow, making the system work harder. Also, your… ...read more
- Hurricane Tie Down Straps for Mobile Home to Secure Frame , Roof Anchor (6/1/2020) - Mobile homes and Manufactured homes that are in high wind areas need to be strapped down. Even new construction homes require ‘hurricane’ straps to secure roof trusses and other construction appendages. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hd3yf5u84EI Usually… ...read more
- Flagpole Spinner Prevents Furling, Stops Tangle In Wind, Wrapping (5/18/2020) - A flagpole spinner avoids furling, that is prevents the flag from tangling or wrapping. The banner flying in the wind is glorious to see, but is difficult on a windy day. The flag… ...read more