Hi! I’m Blair Gilbert, a.k.a.
As a third-generation hardware store owner, licensed builder, and finish carpenter, my mission is to help you “do it right the first time!” On this site, I share expert home and yard DIY advice in over 250 articles and videos. Feel free to dive in!
- Stone Paths, Roads Need Jagged Sharp Edges To Lock Gravel, Rock Together (6/29/2020)
Stone, rock or gravel roads, driveways and paths need materials with coarse, sharp, jagged corners to lock together. Smooth, rounded stone moves and does not create a solid surface.
Building a gravel, stone or rock surface can require 3 layers – solid base foundation #3 stone (clean stone), middle layer for good drainage (#57 stone), and a top layer for appearance and support (#411).
The top layer should be rough, angular stones as these will give a firm, stable surface. This final layer consists of smaller gravel mixed with coarse rock dust, called fines. Blending small stones and rock dust lets the rock fit tightly together to form a stable, solid surface that can support vehicles.
And to help drainage further, form the stones so there is a slight peak in the middle and down to the sides. By crowning the driveway, you will move rainwater off the surface.
Pea gravel, shore gravel and river rock look nice, but the rounded, smooth surface doesn’t lock together like angular fragments of crushed stone. These stones will shift under a weight load.
More New Articles
- Air Conditioner Filter Too Fine, Restricts Air Flow, Stress System (6/15/2020) - Air conditioners can shut down if fine filters restrict air flow. The air conditioner is also stressed by a dirty filter that slows down air flow, making the system work harder. Also, your… ...read more
- Hurricane Tie Down Straps for Mobile Home to Secure Frame , Roof Anchor (6/1/2020) - Mobile homes and Manufactured homes that are in high wind areas need to be strapped down. Even new construction homes require ‘hurricane’ straps to secure roof trusses and other construction appendages. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hd3yf5u84EI Usually… ...read more
- Flagpole Spinner Prevents Furling, Stops Tangle In Wind, Wrapping (5/18/2020) - A flagpole spinner avoids furling, that is prevents the flag from tangling or wrapping. The banner flying in the wind is glorious to see, but is difficult on a windy day. The flag… ...read more
- Remove Hose Vacuum Breaker with Set Screw for Bib Check Valve Code (5/4/2020) - A hose vacuum breaker, called a back flow preventer or anti-siphone, is a device to prevent your water from getting contaminated from the other side of the hose. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n--jQaAAf8E&feature=youtu.be A hose vacuum breaker… ...read more
- Replace Water Filter Cartridge, Remove Chlorine Taste with Carbon Filter (4/20/2020) - Replacing the carbon water filter cartridge under the sink takes 30 seconds. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcpIEmmJx3s Follow the steps for replacing a water filter cartridges. 1. Close the water shut-off valve for the sink and refrigerator… ...read more