Hi! I’m Blair Gilbert, a.k.a.
As a third-generation hardware store owner, licensed builder, and finish carpenter, my mission is to help you “do it right the first time!” On this site, I share expert home and yard DIY advice in over 250 articles and videos. Feel free to dive in!
- Frost-Free Faucet Stops Water Freezing Inside Hose Bib Pipes, Spigot Valves (6/14/2021)
The frost-free faucet prevents water from freezing remaining inside your pipes or valves. The frost-free hose bib is designed with a long valve stem. The pipe is protected inside the warm home. Disconnect your hoses for winter.
A frost-free hose stem is 6 to 12 inches long. It prevents freezing your pipes due to the stem washer & seat valve is inside the heated building. The water that is turned off on a frost-free faucet is stopped behind the valve. So any water remaining in the pipe drains outside and nothing is left to freeze to burst pipe.
The frost-free spigot is self-draining because it is installed at about 45 degrees downward to stop water from collecting and remaining where it can freeze. The hose bib turns a long stem to the valve farther into the house.
Cold climate areas need frost-free spigots. A frost-free faucet is protection against water damage.
1. Know that there are rubber gaskets and washers inside the frost-free spigots. It is still a good idea to cover frost-free faucets because very cold, windy weather can still reach into your house through the pipe opening.
2. You should drain and leave outside faucets open during winter just in case. All the air space in the 6 to 10 inches of frost-free stem will allow any residual water to expand if it freezes.
3. Disconnect your hoses. If a hose or other restriction is still attached, the water cannot drain from the faucet can’t drain. A frozen, water-filled hose on the outdoor frost-free spigot can damage both the frost-free faucet and hose.
More New Articles
- Toilet Flush Handle Lever Too Short, Mansfield Trip Arm Is Longer (5/31/2021) - A too short toilet flush handle doesn’t work well, but a Mansfield trip handle arm is longer to reach the flush valve or chain. The Mansfield toilet handle lever is plastic and can… ...read more
- Restore Wood, Furniture Finish – Don’t Strip – Quick And Looks Good (4/19/2021) - Restore wood and old furniture, but don't strip it, because of the time and mess. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEGDQm2bmWg Howard’s has a unique formula to help restore wood finishes by softening marks and blending out minor… ...read more
- Old Bricks, Pavers, Patio Stone and Blocks to Decorate, Accent, Hide (4/5/2021) - Old bricks, pavers, stone and blocks to accent the yard, decorate the patio or hide the problems. A landscape design is accentuated by decorating your garden and space. They are not only serving… ...read more
- 3 Best Useful Power Tools – Versatile, Affordable for New Home (3/22/2021) - These 3 versatile power tools are the best for a new homeowner because they are also affordable and useful for many jobs. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ay1h_fcQuQ 1) A Drill This drill is the most used power… ...read more
- Reach Tight Places with Steel Wool on Bit, Drill to Clean, Polish, Remove (3/8/2021) - Make your own steel wool wire wheel tool bit to clean, polish or remove stuff from metal, wood or other materials by using a drill bit to reach in tight spots. You can’t… ...read more