Hi! I’m Blair Gilbert, a.k.a.
As a third-generation hardware store owner, licensed builder, and finish carpenter, my mission is to help you “do it right the first time!” On this site, I share expert home and yard DIY advice in over 250 articles and videos. Feel free to dive in!
- Garage door winter cold keypad fix, replace, new code, repair or clean contacts (2/11/2019)
Repairing a garage door opener keypad is easy enough. You may have to try different solutions to fix the problem.
Start the garage door opener keypad repair by looking over the manual for advice for common problems. The answer could be an incorrect code or no power.
Cold weather affects the connections due to temperature or condensation. Also, dirt from construction or lawn debris after many seasons can build-up over the contacts.
Changing the code works sometimes because over time the buttons wear on the same numbers. This works if you have used the same number for years or only use the same row of numbers like 4-5-6.
Check the power because it could be the broken or loose wire connection, tripped breaker or dead battery.
One customer lost his garage door opener code after a power outage.
Finally, replace the garage keypad with a universal garage door opener keypad, like Chamberlain.
More New Articles
- Install flow-through furnace humidifier in 1 hour, save $200 and replace old drum reservoir humidifier (1/28/2019)- Flow through-humidifiers are replacing the older drum humidifiers in recent years. This is mainly due to tighter houses. The disadvantage to a drum is that standing water present in the reservoir allows bacteria… ...read more
- Drum humidifier float repair, replace to fix overflow on furnace (1/14/2019)- Drum or reservoir humidifiers use a rotating drum-styled foam pad or similar media that picks up water for evaporation from a float-controlled reservoir. These types are the most prone to mold problems, due… ...read more
- Tips for painting laminate kitchen cabinets, preparation, BIN primer, acrylic latex (12/31/2018)- Painting laminated cabinets and doors requires critical preparation, cleaning, sanding and priming. We like TSP or a degreaser and it must be thoroughly rinsed from the surfaces so the primer will adhere. Then… ...read more
- Easy furnace flame sensor repair, clean, replace, fix (12/17/2018)- Q. Mr. Hardware, my furnace will start to ignite, goes through some startup procedures but shuts down. After several tries, the furnace will run but I know something is wrong. Can you help?… ...read more
- Sharpening a chisel, mini bar, screw driver on beach grinder – follow the sparks (12/3/2018)- Watch the sparks. The sparks will tell you what and where the metal is being removed. Sparks over the top mean the tip is being sharpened, and below the tool means removal of… ...read more