Hi! I’m Blair Gilbert, a.k.a.
As a third-generation hardware store owner, licensed builder, and finish carpenter, my mission is to help you “do it right the first time!” On this site, I share expert home and yard DIY advice in over 250 articles and videos. Feel free to dive in!
- Tips to Paint Doors Faster, Better, Easier – Remove Hardware, Weatherstripping (3/23/2020)
paint doors faster and better with easy removal of hardware and weather stripping. Speed up and improve painting the door by removing obstacles.
Painting doors quicker and easier happens when there is nothing in the way. Don’t leave locks or weather stripping on a prehung door to paint around them. No one wants to do it; you just want to cut around it. You will paint doors faster and easy by removing hardware and weather stripping, like this prehung door. If there is a reason for not removing painting obstacles, like weather striping is glued or nailed, you have little choice. But if it’s time or effort, both would be saved by taking this step. And the painted door will look much better and the paint job will go smoother by removal of the weather stripping and hardware. And no ugly paint on the door knob.
More New Articles
- Make Home-Made Oil Based Primer for Wood Penetration, Sealing, Protection (3/9/2020) - Make oil based primer to penetrate, protect and seal wood. And get rid of old paint. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGHx7cj5Icw Making your own primer will save money and time, as well as improved penetration, sealing and… ...read more
- Glazing Windows – Advice, Tips, Tricks, Linseed Oil (2/24/2020) - Glazing a window of one pane of glass will take 15 minutes to an hour, depending on the size of the pane and the stubbornness of the old putty. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEuSGOUH6rE 1. Glazing a… ...read more
- Cleaning Electric Grinder Wheel Dressing – Maintenance with Stone or Tool (2/10/2020) - Many homeowners with an electric grinder wheel have no experience cleaning or dressing maintenance. It’s important to maintain a grinding wheel to achieve the best performance out of it. There is an easy… ...read more
- Caulk the Bathroom Fast, Easy – Counter, Tub, Tile, Sink – Finger Tool (1/27/2020) - Caulk in the bathroom needs to look good, particularly around the sink, counter, tub, tile and sink. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNwBpM1OwWQ Caulk is messy, and the counter, tile, sink and tub get a lot of water.… ...read more
- Eliminate Ants in Your House – Common House Ants, Carpenter Ants (1/13/2020) - Ants in the house can be regular old house sweet ants or carpenter ants. You can see the difference. If your ants go after food lying around the house they are sweet ants.… ...read more