Hi! I’m Blair Gilbert, a.k.a.
As a third-generation hardware store owner, licensed builder, and finish carpenter, my mission is to help you “do it right the first time!” On this site, I share expert home and yard DIY advice in over 250 articles and videos. Feel free to dive in!
- Keep out cold, wind, dirt with V-Flex, V-Seal weather stripping and door sweeps (2/12/2018)
V-Seal weather strips are hinged into a v-shape that seals when compressed to block gaps between the frame of the door or window.
This stops infiltration into your home. It has adhesive on one side to attach to the frame.
- Measure the length of your door frame on both sides and top. Cut the lengths with scissors.
- Strip off some paper backing and stick the v-tape at the upper door frame side with the V pointing outside. The tip of the V should be about 1/8 to ¼ inch from the outside edge of the door.
- Keep it straight or it will bow and seal poorly.
- Apply the V-seal strip down the entire length of the door frame.
- Repeat on the other side of the door frame.
- Repeat along the top of the door frame.
Door sweep installation may be seen here.
More New Articles
- Your 2-stroke cycle engines run best if you do this for the fuel (1/29/2018) - Two-stroke engines require one of two types of fuel. Either a gas/oil mixture of 40:1 or 50:1 Always check your owner's manual for your specific model before creating your concoction. Use a separate, ...read more
- How to clear a slow draining sink clog (1/8/2018) - If you don’t have a disposal, you can use a caustic, powerful drain cleaner if there is some movement to the water. Read the instructions. Once the sink is empty of water, the ...read more
- Stop heat loss and drafts in your home with simple insulation steps (1/3/2018) - Heat loss and gain are from air infiltration. Protect the doors, windows, basement and furnace. Use film kits and caulking and they will reward you. Windows are an easy area to insulate. Unless ...read more
- Garbage disposal tips to add life to your disposal and improve operation (1/2/2018) - Home garbage disposals have limits. Not everything has to go in the garbage disposal. Don't overload it. Don't put in bones, pits or pastas because they dull the blades, stick in the corners, ...read more
- Christmas tree fires happen very quickly, some in less than 1 minute (12/22/2017) - This is a video off Youtube. These fires do happen, and these fires are terrible. Please be safe this holiday season. Please.