Hi! I’m Blair Gilbert, a.k.a.
As a third-generation hardware store owner, licensed builder, and finish carpenter, my mission is to help you “do it right the first time!” On this site, I share expert home and yard DIY advice in over 250 articles and videos. Feel free to dive in!
- No electricity in entire room – check GFCI, quick connect wire, overload (5/21/2018)
What happened to my power?
GFCI Outlet Trips Breaker
GFCI outlets may trip sometimes, but not all the time. A GFCI can wear out faster than a regular outlet. If you have to reset the button often, the GFCI outlet isn’t adjusting correctly to the electrical current variations properly. Replace it.
One cause may be the black and white wire contact the bare ground. An ohmmeter will tell you if there is a leak in the circuit.
Also, the wire connections of the outlet may not be firmly connected where it joins the rest of the outlets in the house. A multimeter or an electrical contractor will need to test the outlet.
If there is no power to the outlet no matter what you try to plug in, check the main breaker panel for a tripped breaker. Shut off the breaker completely, reset, and see if it’s working.
Tripping means that an overload has affected the circuit. Sometimes the cause is a loose wire in the electrical box of the outlet.
Check the other outlets in the home, too, to see if there may be a short or overload from one of them. Check the connections to the outlet. Any loose connection will create extra heat that can lead to outlet damage, electric shock, or even a fire.
More New Articles
- Multimeter use – voltage, continuity, resistance – and some tips (5/7/2018) - Multimeters are good for electrical basics - check current, measure voltage and troubleshooting for why your circuit’s not working, or if the switch is broken. Here are some tips. WARNING: To test continuity ...read more
- Backup sump pump separate discharge alerts to failure of main pump (4/23/2018) - Backup sump pumps save you from flooding basement, but you need to be notified the primary pump has failed. Your battery-driven backup pumps will have low charges and stop pumping, and the battery ...read more
- Slow drain clog cleared, Insta-Flo Crystals – Not garbage disposals (3/26/2018) - Slow drains can clear with strong clog removers like Insta-Flo with hot water to be applied at night so it can work on the clog undisturbed for at least 4-hours. It can damage ...read more
- Sump pump Quiet Check Valve by Zoeller has no water hammer noise (3/12/2018) - Sump pump check valves stop the back-flow of water, but the BANG of the water hammer sound when these valves shut is loud. The noise they make when they slam close can be ...read more
- Lamp repair, fix socket, replace cord, overheating damages wiring (2/27/2018) - Fixing a lamp, repairing the socket or replacing the cord is easy, but electricity can be is dangerous. Replace a lamp socket: 1. Unplug lamp, remove harp. 2. Remove the socket shell by ...read more