Hi! I’m Blair Gilbert, a.k.a.
As a third-generation hardware store owner, licensed builder, and finish carpenter, my mission is to help you “do it right the first time!” On this site, I share expert home and yard DIY advice in over 250 articles and videos. Feel free to dive in!
- Furnace filter inserted properly with arrow pointed to air flow direction (11/18/2019)
There is a right way and a wrong way to insert a furnace filter. Slide the new air filter in with the arrow pointing toward the furnace, and you are done. Sounds easy.
Look on the new air filter for the arrow showing the direction of the air flow. Air flow→. That arrow will always point toward the furnace, and away from the cold air return duct. The support backing on the filter gives it strength against the air pushing against it.
It can be confusing. But only relying on, “Just take the old one out and put the new one in” works as long as the old one is in correctly.
Forced air furnaces work by recirculating air throughout the house home, i.e. pushing warm air in and pulling cold air out.
Incorrectly replacing the filter will decrease your furnace’s efficiency and effective because it won’t be as warm in your house costing you money.
Also, clean air filters matter because they clean the air you breathe.
When filters are clogged with the dust, dirt or animal hair, the furnace works harder to push and pull air through the system. This costs more in utility bills, estimated at 15%, and shortens the life of furnace parts.
More New Articles
- Install a wireless video audio doorbell for home security by Alula (11/4/2019) - The Alula wireless video audio doorbell has microphone and speaker with motion detection and 16 GB storage viewable from your smart phone through wifi. https://youtu.be/RMzcRHlO-Jw It lets you see, hear, speak and record… ...read more
- Furnace flow through humidifier, trickle pad operation & maintenance (10/21/2019) - As winter begins, the outside air and that in our homes becomes cold and dry. By adding humidity to our house air, it makes our living area more comfortable and pleasant for the… ...read more
- Furnace filter too fine restricts air, can shut down or cooler heating (10/7/2019) - WHICH WAY TO POINT THE FILTER ARROW The easy answer is to point the arrow towards the furnace, which is correct 49 out of 50 times. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JV_gr2O7ow The airflow pushes the filter media… ...read more
- Gutter mirror of plexiglass sees blockages and downspouts for cleaning without ladder (9/23/2019) - A gutter mirror will save you time by working from the ground. Don't climb up and down a ladder with tools and a hose when you can make a handy gutter mirror to… ...read more
- Mansfield toilet flush valve use longer handles, and replace gasket seal (9/9/2019) - Replace the longer Mansfield toilet handle https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8B7dCqEjQ0M Turn off the water supply to the toilet. Flush the toilet. Flush again and hold the flush handle down to allow as much water to leave… ...read more