Hi! I’m Blair Gilbert, a.k.a.
As a third-generation hardware store owner, licensed builder, and finish carpenter, my mission is to help you “do it right the first time!” On this site, I share expert home and yard DIY advice in over 250 articles and videos. Feel free to dive in!
- Furnace monitor for $25 by Honeywell, Winter Watchman plug-in (4/22/2019)
The Honeywell Winter Watchman is a simple furnace solution to notify a house watcher that there is a heat problem in the home. It’s easy to install and operate, needing only an outlet on an interior wall and a lamp in the front window.
It operates by setting the dial to the temperature you determine to be too low. When that temperature drops to that level, it signals by turning on a lamp. It doesn’t need batteries, requires no expertise, costs less than $25 and protects your home from frozen and bursting pipes. The neighbor doesn’t have to do frequent checks; just look out the window or do a drive-by. It’s more convenient and discreet than a thermometer in the window. If the worry is a power failure, then an uninterrupted power supply (UPS) unit is one common answer. It’s cheap, effortless to operate, works and gives you peace-of-mind.
More New Articles
- Outside backyard sump pump screen filter against leaves and debris (4/8/2019)- A backyard, outside submersible sump pump pit will collect leaves and debris, so you need to guard, or limit, that exposure with screening or netting that won’t interfere with the float switch. The… ...read more
- Remote smart phone monitor by La Crosse Tech – water leaks, humidity, temperature (3/25/2019)- Water leak detectors protect you when you are on vacation, away for the day or the property is unoccupied. These devices give an early warning alert and monitor your home and property against… ...read more
- Read furnace error fault code lights to repair, troubleshoot, fix, diagnose (3/11/2019)- The error code tells you what sensor has tripped. It does not tell you why the fault. Do not blame the code sensor light unless you are positive it is the sensor that… ...read more
- Furnace General Aire Gage, media filter air pressure gauge (2/25/2019)- The furnace General Aire Gage media filter air pressure gauge shows when you need to replace the air filter in your forced air heating and cooling systems. The gauge is placed between the… ...read more
- Garage door winter cold keypad fix, replace, new code, repair or clean contacts (2/11/2019)- Repairing a garage door opener keypad is easy enough. You may have to try different solutions to fix the problem. Start the garage door opener keypad repair by looking over the manual for… ...read more