Hi! I’m Blair Gilbert, a.k.a.
As a third-generation hardware store owner, licensed builder, and finish carpenter, my mission is to help you “do it right the first time!” On this site, I share expert home and yard DIY advice in over 250 articles and videos. Feel free to dive in!
- Blowout Sprinkler With Too Small Compressor, Blow Out Pipes, Adapter $10 (10/18/2021)
Winterizing a sprinkler system with a small air compressor requires blowing out each zone several times.
Letting the compressor build up 80 or so psi before blowing out a zone will provide enough volume of air to evacuate most of the water in the line.
Always let the air compressors build up to full pressure when blowing out each line and stop once the air pressure drops below 40 psi and let it come back up to full pressure.
If you have several zones cycle through each zone allowing water to settle between ‘blowing out’ each zone.
Watch the farthest head on each zone to be sure only a fine mist comes out in the first seconds of blowing out the zone.
As the air pressure drops, quicker the smaller the air tank on the compressor, less water will be evacuated from the line.
Whenever you are in doubt blow out the line one more time, a little water can freeze and cause you to repair the line in the spring.
More New Articles
- Window Cleaning Made Easy (10/4/2021) - I've got two surefire ways to clean windows - one for interior (featured in my video), and another strictly for exterior window cleaning, which is detailed in the rest of this article. Interior… ...read more
- Proof that Mortar Caulk Deniers were Wrong! (9/21/2021) - Sealing cracks in mortar joints helps protect your brick home. Water intrusion only causes more damage so this quick 'Homeowner Repair' is a DIY cure. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apGP1gB8VQI Most Masons hate this product, they insist… ...read more
- Best Foam and Non Foam Gutter Guards (8/31/2021) - There are many types of gutter guards, ultra cheep to ultra expensive. Many of us don’t have the thousands to spend on fancy gutter guards so here is one affordable system that I… ...read more
- Stop Drip at Toilet Water Shut Off Valve Seal Gasket (8/9/2021) - Stop dripping at the toilet water shut off by fixing the seal gasket, washer or packing. Toilet shut off valves start to drip over time due to loose packing nuts on these valves.… ...read more
- Odors, Smells to Keep Pest Animals Out of Bushes, Yard, Garden, Flowers (7/26/2021) - Animals typically don't like being around strong odors. The plan is to find things that are very odorous, inexpensive and easy to place around your area. These are heavy smells. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFDnZDGwOoM Mothballs are… ...read more