Hi! I’m Blair Gilbert, a.k.a.
As a third-generation hardware store owner, licensed builder, and finish carpenter, my mission is to help you “do it right the first time!” On this site, I share expert home and yard DIY advice in over 250 articles and videos. Feel free to dive in!
- How to treat your backyard for mosquitoes (7/16/2018)
Spray days before and a light spray day of the social gathering. Spray the plants, trees, shrubbery, lawn, front of house, sidewalks, awnings, gutters and all other outdoors areas to rid them of insects like mosquitoes, flies, ticks and gnats.
- Get rid of stagnant water, a bottle cap can be a breeding spot for mosquitoes
- Plant natural repellents with defensive odors, as citronella.
- Natural Bug Repellent, like lemon eucalyptus oil or rubbing apple cider vinegar on your skin.
- Insect repellent, lotion or spray, containing DEET (less than 25%), or picaridin.
- Cover your feet because mosquitoes love sweat and bacteria.
- Dress in light colors, not dark clothes, and hide arms and legs.
- Eat dinner indoors since most US mosquitoes bite in the evening.
- Tent the patio to keep out bugs. Rent tents and outdoor umbrellas with mosquito nets.
More New Articles
- Restring dual-sided spool lawn weed eater trimmer with 2 strings (7/9/2018) - Be kind, rewind.. your garden line trimmer that is. Most line trimmers, weed wackers, have refillable spools that dispense line as you need it while trimming up the edges of your yard. We ...read more
- Kill weeds for 6 months, Season Long Weed Control by Bayer (6/25/2018) - Apply anytime from spring through fall when temperatures are between 50-90F. Rainproof in 1 hour. Kills existing broadleaf weeds, but not crabgrass. Prevents new broadleaf weeds for up to 6 months. Won’t harm ...read more
- Spar (marine) varnish is best for exterior wood finishing, protection (6/18/2018) - Outdoor finishes all require maintenance due to moisture, heat, expansion, contraction and ultraviolet light. Moisture causes the wood to rot, and sunlight washes out its natural color. You have some choices: exterior oil, ...read more
- Electric circuit overload – volts x amps = watts (6/4/2018) - Too many items plugged into a circuit can cause an overload. Exceeding the limit should automatically shut off the circuit at the main panel. Power strips don’t always protect you. A dedicated circuit ...read more
- No electricity in entire room – check GFCI, quick connect wire, overload (5/21/2018) - What happened to my power? GFCI Outlet Trips Breaker GFCI outlets may trip sometimes, but not all the time. A GFCI can wear out faster than a regular outlet. If you have to ...read more