Hi! I’m Blair Gilbert, a.k.a.
As a third-generation hardware store owner, licensed builder, and finish carpenter, my mission is to help you “do it right the first time!” On this site, I share expert home and yard DIY advice in over 250 articles and videos. Feel free to dive in!
- Drum humidifier float repair, replace to fix overflow on furnace (1/14/2019)
Drum or reservoir humidifiers use a rotating drum-styled foam pad or similar media that picks up water for evaporation from a float-controlled reservoir.
These types are the most prone to mold problems, due to the reservoir that is constantly full of standing water. To replace the float: 1. Turn off the furnace power. 2. Turn off the water valve to the humidifier. 3. Remove the humidifier cover. 4. Improve the water level by adjusting the float arm. There is an adjusting screw to alter the level of the float. There may also be a slide to adjust only the level of the float arm itself. 5. Loosen the screw to raise or lower the float to raise the water level. To adjust using the slide you will loosen the nut. 6. Turn on the water valve and power to the furnace. 7. Check the water level again later in the day 8. Make any adjustments to the water level.
More New Articles
- Tips for painting laminate kitchen cabinets, preparation, BIN primer, acrylic latex (12/31/2018)- Painting laminated cabinets and doors requires critical preparation, cleaning, sanding and priming. We like TSP or a degreaser and it must be thoroughly rinsed from the surfaces so the primer will adhere. Then… ...read more
- Easy furnace flame sensor repair, clean, replace, fix (12/17/2018)- Q. Mr. Hardware, my furnace will start to ignite, goes through some startup procedures but shuts down. After several tries, the furnace will run but I know something is wrong. Can you help?… ...read more
- Sharpening a chisel, mini bar, screw driver on beach grinder – follow the sparks (12/3/2018)- Watch the sparks. The sparks will tell you what and where the metal is being removed. Sparks over the top mean the tip is being sharpened, and below the tool means removal of… ...read more
- How to sharpen drill bits on grinder (11/19/2018)- Start by holding the drill bit so that the cutting face is parallel to the grinding wheel surface, i.e. angled up, because you want to simply clean up the cutting edge to see… ...read more
- New LED tubes make easy conversion of fluorescent bulb fixture, and removing ballast (11/6/2018)- Convert your 4-ft shop fluorescent fixtures to LED bulbs easily. There are basically three types of LED bulbs made to convert fluorescent lights to LED. The simplest, but not the best, is a… ...read more